Adopting From the GA Rat Rescue
Welcome to our adoption page and Thank you for considering adopting from us!
New Adoption Procedures effective as of June 1st 2017 - PLEASE READ The GRR is serious about to isolating and preventing the spread of current and any new potential incoming disease (ie bacterial infections, viruses, funguses and parasites) and we care about human health and safety. As per ELISA and IDEXX OptiSpot serology tests (12/21/16, 1/10/17, 5/1/17) the GRR is NEGATIVE for Rat Bite Fever (S. Moniliiformis) and Seoul Virus (Hantaan)!!! Official test results available upon request. However we are currently a CARb positive rescue until current in-fostering cases are completely depopulated/adopted out, this means also there are placement restrictions when adopting from us (more details below) - For more information on CARb and why we are serious about these pathogens, see the RatGuide's Guide to CAR BACILLUS, Guide to SDA & Guide to Seoul Virus Pet rats are intelligent, social animals who do best when housed in pairs or groups. You can learn more about how to care for pet rats, the best cages for pet rats and more in the Pet Rat Care Section from the North Star Rat Rescue and for recommendations on cages and other care items see our Guide to Pet Rat Care. Here's some important things to know about the GRR before contacting us to adopt:
- WE ARE A FOSTER HOME-BASED RESCUE - All of our listed Available rats are all in the custody of the GRR and reside in foster homes throughout metro Atlanta area & surrounding suburbs and cities...We do not have a physical shelter or a centralized foster location. We cannot ship rats and at this time we cannot provide transport help (i.e. set up trains to get rats to you or deliver rats to your home). You must be able to travel to meet the animal’s foster family for our Meet & Greet Adoption Dates but we will work together to make your family happen!
- WE HOST MEET & GREETS as part of our adoption procedure instead of straight exchange adoptions - This means that we will hold specific adoption day events called Meet & Greets where individual adopters and their families can come to the foster home to meet the rats. This method best allows for us to see how the family gets along with/bonds to the rat(s) and vice versa so we can make the best matchups possible. This event is not a guarantee that an adopter will walk away with rat(s) to take home nor is it a full commitment that you must take home rat(s) if you attend either.
- TO GET STARTED - Fill out our Adoption Application and follow the instruction to submit. Only pre-approved applicants will be eligible to attend a Meet & Greet (this is for the protection of our rats). PLESAE NOTE: If you are younger than 18, the adoption application must be filled out by a parent/guardian and they will be the ones legally adopting and signing the paperwork at the time of actual adoption and take home.
- ADOPTION FEES - We employ a flat rate based adoption fee of $10 per individual rat no matter age, sex, type or look and $30 for any neutered male rats/$50 for any spayed female rats. Multiple adoption fee discounts are available for adopting 3 or more.
- WE NO LONGER PROCESS NEW APPLICATIONS ON HOLIDAYS OR WEEKENDS
- NEW PLACEMENT/ADOPTION POLICIES till further notice - Since we are a CARb positive rescue currently (at all of our current foster homes) and becuase of the persistant life-long nature of this bactirum we will be only able to adopt to those homes that do not have other rats or vector species (this is for Mice, Gerbils, Guinea Pigs, Hamsters, Rabbits). More information is available at the above link about why this is and we will be happy to answer questions for you via email and will discuss it at the Meet & Greets.
Our Currently Available Rats
Please note that we may have new cases and other rats in custody that may not be listed on our PetFinder listing, do not let that stop you from applying as you don't need to request specific rats or cases to get the adoption process going with us! For more information on each animal or if you have questions in general, please contact us at email@example.com.