Welcome to the Georgia Rat Rescue!
The Georgia Rat Rescue is a non-profit rescue founded in 2011 by a handful of fellow rat lovers who saw the need for a specialized rescue focusing on saving and re-homing unwanted and abandoned domestic pet rats in the region. Having volunteered and worked in the animal shelters and other rescues for years, the need for a regional domestic rat specific rescue became overwhelming apparent. By combining resources and sharing contacts, the GA Rat Rescue was created and has been helping make a difference through one small life at a time.
Our mission at the GRR is to rehome unwanted and surrendered domestic pet rats. We operate as a network of volunteers and fosters to provide proper care, housing, food and health care for every rat while in our care until forever homes are found. While in our care, rats will be socialized with people and often with other pets and rats to prepare them to be great compainions.
Future plans for the rescue is to expand our reach beyond the state into the region as well as increasing out foster family network. Our ultimate wish is to be able to have a physical shelter dedicated to the quarantine and health care isolation unit and a fully operating on-site adoptions center. We will also gain our 501(c)(3) non profit status. We are an all volunteer organization that does not receive funding from the state or any government agencies.The GA Rat Rescue relies solely on donations, volunteer funding and the revenue generated from our food and cages store to support the animals in our care.
Important Inofrmation, News and Policy Changes:
- The GA Rat Rescue Store is now OPEN! We sell cages, carriers, cage accessories, new hammocks, Critter Nation pan liners and Harlan rat food. Inventory is constantly changing and getting new items in, for what is available for purchase, see our online store listing HERE!
- Donating Items to the GRR - We no longer have the option for pickups at this time, all items (not monetary donations) to be donated must be dropped off at our Norcross 30093 main storage location conveniently located just in the 1-285, I-85, and Hwy 78, Holcomb Bridge/Jimmy Carter Blvd byways. Drop offs can now be done at any time and any day, please contact us for the drop off address.
- Due to currently limited volunteer hours, the GRR now has designated Administrations Days where we will respond to emails, adoption/surrender applications will be processed, meet & greets will be set up and when we will work with our new or potential fosters/volunteers. We will post these dates and most of our updates on our GRR FaceBook page
- We do not handle wild rats, orphaned babies or squirrels! - Please contact the Atlanta Wild Animal Rescue Effort (AWARE) located at the AWARE Wildlife Center 4158 Klondike Road, Lithonia, GA 30038. You can call them at 678-418-1111 for emergencies or in cases of orphaned babies found.
- The Official Veterinarian is Baranik Animal Care - Located at 1230 Satellite Blvd, ste 200, Suwanee GA 30024 and can be contacted at (678) 869-5469. Our Recommended Alternative Veterinarian(s) are the Bells Ferry Veterinary Hospital - Located at 6410 Hwy 92, Acworth, GA 30102 and can be contacted at (770) 926-5311 & the Buckhaven Vet Clinic with Dr.Mark located at 4226 Peachtree Rd, Atlanta, GA 30319, Phone:(404) 841-3647